Friday, March 20, 2015

Color coding is how I survive!

I have two color coding systems that help me through my school year. I'm going to talk about how I color code my classes.

To start, the color coding is for my benefit only. I don't think most of the kids have caught on to the fact that they are in a specific colored class. Some have. But most haven't.

When I first started teaching at my current school, I had 3 classes of level 2 and 2 classes of level 3. In my head, I wanted to keep the classes colored by primary/secondary, since I had all 3 primary colors. But for a few years, it just seemed like my schedule kept changing every year, and this system was getting crazy. Finally, I just said forget it to the primary/secondary coloring and simply assigned colors to the classes in rainbow order (RYGBP). And that's how it has been since. I should note that since yellow isn't exactly a paper friendly color, black is its alternative when needed.

So, what do I use the colors for? Well, the folders, of course. But I should explain how I use the folders. Folders are for graded work and unfinished work, like when a student is absent or didn't finish a quiz. Left side for unfinished, right side for handing back graded work. On a side note, when I have a power grading session and have a lot to hand back, I get out the seating chart and organize their papers so that all I have to do is hand it to them as I walk in between the desks. Saves a bunch of time. I got that idea from a student teacher I had.

I also color code my seating chart cards. I give new seats every 5 weeks. I like to mix things up! The color coding of the classes is helpful for substitutes because if they know Period 1 is the Red class, they know to look for all things red.

I color code their names on quizzes they are absent for. I color code their names on the reward pesos I hand out. This year, that has been particularly useful, as I have 2 students with the same first name and last initial, but are in different classes. I color code their names when I itemize or need to organize their college credit paperwork. Should I mention that sometimes, when it's convenient, I even use their class color paper clips? Purple is so hard to find though! Helps for when you have papers you need to refer to but need to stay together in the long term, like Parent night papers or permission slips. Instead of leafing through them all, you know which stack to grab because you know which class the kid is in.

In the end, it might be a little over the top, but for me, I need that sense of 'everything has its place.' There is a 1-on-1 aide who has sat in on my class the last two years, and she has complimented my organization several times. Glad someone appreciates my work since the kids have no idea how I'm running things behind the scenes!

No comments:

Post a Comment