Friday, March 27, 2015

Rubrics - my downfall

I have to admit that I have not changed any of my rubrics in years. Lately, I have noticed that something is sorely missing in them. I'm not exactly sure what, though. I don't think they are specific enough, or are inconsistent.

On my rubrics, I have a grammar and spelling section that is set up one of two ways. Some are divided into how many mistakes are made (none, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, errors hinder comprehension, etc), and some are divided by how bad the mistakes are (excellent work, many errors but comprehensible, errors start to slow reader, etc)

I had to throw appropriateness into the rubric at one point when a couple of bold young men, let's say, decided to test how offended I would get to certain things. You would think that handing in something appropriate would be a given. I haven't really had a problem since. However, maybe my description of the assignment should be more specific and include that, because if you teach high school students, you know that they like to push the boundaries and have their own interpretations of things!

I also found that I didn't edit some things properly. For example, I offer the same type of project for 2 chapters, so I copied and pasted the description from the previous chapter, and I thought I made the appropriate changes in wording. I guess I missed a few!

Found this one with a basic search, and I like the concept! Off to a good start!

I am going to make the rubrics and projects my focus this summer for things that need to be improved. I assign a total of 15 projects to both preps, so I have my work cut out for me. I will start by researching rubrics and make sure that I am 100% sure that I know how to use them to my advantage, I will research what other people use, and ask my coworkers as well. Then I will develop new rubrics that hopefully I can use for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment