Monday, March 23, 2015

Game: Pesca (Go Fish)

Pesca is a game I like to play within the first day or two of a new vocab unit. It's a simple game and doesn't require too much thinking, which is why I put it at the beginning of a unit. I prefer more complex, thinking games towards the end of a vocab unit.

Basically, I create a MS Publisher document with pictures of vocabulary terms. I print them on card stock, laminate the pages, cut up the cards, and put each set in a baggie. I make 40 cards per set, which is 20 vocabulary terms.

The objective? Just like Go Fish!: Get as many pairs of matching cards as possible.

This is how it's played: Kids partner up and receive the baggie of cards. They shuffle them and deal 5 cards to each player. The remaining cards become the 'fishing pond' to pick from when they are told to go fish. Once everything is ready, one person goes first by asking their partner if they have a particular card in their hand. The partner either says yes and hands it over, or tells the other player to go fish. This goes back and forth until all cards are matched. All matches are removed from their hands and set aside, but keep each players' matches separate for scoring reasons.

Something I've learned over the years: You need to have the kids establish rules regarding taking another turn. My students typically play that if your partner gets a match, or if you pick up a match when you are told to go fish, you get to go again. Some people will disagree and say that it was luck, your turn is done. It all depends on the players. However, this must be established ahead of time, or you will deal with arguments and accusations that "it's not fair!".

I love that this is a game for all Foreign Languages. Because the cards are pictures, you can tailor it for your vocabulary list, and just change the words the kids say while playing. For Spanish, we use some basic vocabulary while playing: ¿Tienes...? (Do you have...?) Sí. (yes) Pesca. (go fish, familiar command form) Gané. (I won) etc. Simple vocab, but it works. You can kick it up a notch, offering the students a wider variety of things to say, such as: Busco... (I'm looking for...), Sí, lo/la/los/las tengo (Yes I have it, them), etc.


I have started putting some of my Go Fish cards on my Teachers Pay Teachers store. I haven't posted a lot because I want to make the cards as generic as possible, and my cards have vocabulary terms from my specific source. But if you can create your own template, then you are well on your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment