Sunday, March 29, 2015

Grading: Reward effort or accuracy in High School?

Grading is an issue within our department (7-12). The middle school teachers (and 1 HS teacher) grade homework based on effort. The rest of us in the HS grade based on accuracy. I can see the pros and cons of each way. Because my views on grading based on effort get a little heated, I will save those for last.


Grading based on accuracy, for me, is the only way to go. It does so much to help the students in the long run. Yes, a low homework grade might hurt their ego. They might get mad at you. My students constantly say that I'm "such a hard grader," and "Why can't you just be nice?" Well, I'm providing feedback so you can learn from your mistake. I always write the correct answer on a homework if they get it wrong. Why? So they can see it and read it and learn from it. If I didn't do that, very few are going to take the time to look up the correct answer, especially if they don't like their grade. I usually find those papers balled up on my floor after class. They can be mad, I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to teach them Spanish, and to make sure they learn it correctly. Progress can't be made if they are told they are wrong but not why it is wrong. If a mistake is made, they need to learn why it was a mistake. The majority of kids will learn from their mistake. Not all, but as long as some do, I am happy. I'll keep working on the others.

Another reason I grade based on accuracy is to show that I have high(er) expectations for my students. It takes a few weeks for them to get used to it after having teachers that grade for effort, but almost all of my students rise to the occasion. I find that the few who don't adjust were never committed in the previous years either. In high school, we have the task of setting them up for college, where a wide variety of expectations are held. I would rather over-prepare them than under-prepare them and give them a nasty shock when they start their freshman year.

On to the other point of view. Grading for effort is good for first time learners. I think it's a good idea in the first year of language learning. It helps those who don't quite get it to continue to feel encouraged, and it helps those students who are still struggling to balance the multiple class, multiple teacher schedule to figure out how to do it all. But here's the catch: if you see a consistent error within their homework or classwork, ADDRESS IT!!!! I concede, language learning is difficult for some. They just can't wrap their brains around it. I get it, that's why I don't teach science! So, grading for effort is acceptable for a period of time. However, I can't stress this enough, feedback must be given! If there is no feedback, even just a general, in class "Hey, guys, I noticed a lot of you were writing Ustedes instead of ellos, those mean two different things!" then they can't fix what they have learned incorrectly. Also, make sure they are writing down things that are related to what you are learning, don't just look for pencil marks. At the beginning of one year, I had a kid hand in a class writing activity. It started out using proper vocab and grammar, then it fell off and the kid just wrote some ramble in English about how I'm not going to be reading that part anyways so he was just going to write a bunch of his favorite words. Imagine his surprise when I handed back a ramble of my own about how expectations in the HS are different.

What I'm going to say next may offend some people. I take that risk. But I feel very strongly about these things. And I'm entitled to my opinion. My biggest beef with grading based on effort ALL THE TIME is because the teacher is "too busy." Now I will admit, sometimes I get swamped and I just leaf through an assignment - but just one assignment, and it happens only once or twice a year. In my experience, "too busy" too often means 'I can't finish it within my contracted hours, and I'm not giving up my non-school hours. EVER.' If that is your thought process, then please find another career. I get that teachers can't stay late every day, but once or twice a week isn't going to kill you. Nor is grading at home. Luckily, I can count on my two hands the number of teachers I have known with this mentality. The other definition of "too busy" is that the person really is too busy, being the adviser for 4 clubs, coaching 3 sports a year, and attending every single school function. On top of being married with kids. I love the enthusiasm, but if your personal and professional commitments prevent you from doing your job properly and providing the education and feedback the students need, then you need to change some things in your life. 

There are pros and cons to all sides of the great grading debate. I have my style and my reasons, and others have theirs. Please feel free to comment on your thoughts of the grading process. I'm always open to hearing what others have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment