Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Game: Scattergories for Language Learning

This is probably my favorite game to play with the kids. They have so much fun and EVERYONE is involved. It works best as a complete summative review, so probably best used at the beginning or end of the year, or as a filler day.

The official Scattergories logo/ box design. I'm probably breaking some copyright laws. I didn't mean to, officer, honest!
If you've never played Scattergories, then I'll do my best to describe how to play. Every player is given a list of general things (Boy's name, fruit, something hot, type of car, etc) and then a 26 sided die (or is it 20?) is rolled to determine the letter that all the answers to the categories need to start with for that round. Then a timer is set and everyone writes down an answer for each category. When time is up, everyone shares their answers. Points are given for unique responses, so if 2 or more people have the same answer in a category, then that one doesn't count. You play a few rounds and whoever has the most points wins!

Here is my twist on it: I put the kids in groups of 3 or 4 students. The categories are listed in the target language and instead of just nouns or proper names, I include actions, since they can brainstorm infinitive verbs. I also say that if half the teams or more come up with the same answer it doesn't count (so if 3 of 7 teams come up with an answer, it counts, but if 4 teams do, it doesn't.)


I don't have a 26 sided die, so I use this one I found online. It is also an iPad app, but cost 99 cents. There is a free app called 'ScatTools' that includes the randomizer, a timer, and sound effects. I'll be using it next time we play.

I offer this game through my TpT store. It includes 4 category lists.

I will definitely be playing this game again with my students. It is amazing what words they can remember from their years of language learning!


No comments:

Post a Comment